Statistics that show the Size and Scope of the 9/11 Health Crisis facing 9/11 Responders, Survivors and their Families
Below is information on the size and extent of the Health Crisis facing injured and ill 9/11 Responders and Survivors, including residents, student, and area workers.
- There are over 115,000 Responders and Survivors who are living in every State and from 434 of 435 Congressional Districts.
- There are over 24,000 participating in the National Program which provides medical treatment and monitoring for 9/11 Responders who live outside the New York Metropolitan Area, including responders to the Pentagon and the Shanksville crash site.
- There are over 82,000 9/11 Responders eligible to receive medical monitoring to safeguard against emerging injuries.
- There are 31,972 injured 9/11 Survivors receiving medical treatment for their injuries from the World Trade Center Health Program.
- There are 66,629 Responders and Survivors that have at least one 9/11 condition. Over two thirds of these people have more than one condition and many of those suffer from multiple injuries and illnesses.
- 37,318 9/11 Responders and Survivors sought treatment last year, for their 9/11 injury from the World Trade Center Health Program.
- Over 2,582 active-duty Fire Department personnel (Fire Fighters and EMS) and over 910 NYC Police Department personnel have had to retire due to disabling 9/11 injuries.
- 23,331 Responders and Survivors have been certified to have a 9/11 related cancer, of which over 2,689 are New York City Fire Fighters and EMS personnel.
- Over 284 New York Police Department officers and over 257 FDNY Firefighters have reportedly died of their 9/11 injuries since 9/11 and more are expected in the coming years.
- To date, the September 11 Victim Compensation Fund has received 71,014 eligibility claims.
- The VCF, since being reopened, has made over 41,761 determinations for injured and ill responders and survivors or their families totaling over $9.32 Billion.
- The VCF has claims from all fifty states.
World Trade Center Health Program Statistics
WTC Health Program Membership by State July 2021
World Trade Center Health Program Quarterly Reports
September 11th Victim Compensation Fund Program Statistics
VCF Participation by State December 2018
September 11th Victim Compensation Fund Annual Reports
20th Anniversary Report – published September 7th, 2021
Ninth Annual Status Report – published February 16, 2021
Eighth Annual Status Report – published February 19, 2020
Seventh Annual Status Report – published February 15, 2019
Sixth Annual Status Report – published February 2018
Fifth Annual Status Report – published March 13, 2017
Fourth Annual Status Report – published February 9, 2016
Third Annual Status Report – published October 17, 2014
Second Annual Status Report – published November 22, 2013
First Annual Status Report – published October 3, 2012
Updated as of 1/13/2022