Statistics that show the Size and Scope of the 9/11 Health Crisis facing 9/11 Responders, Survivors and their Families
Below is information on the size and extent of the Health Crisis facing injured and ill 9/11 Responders and Survivors, including residents, student, and area workers.
- There are over 88,000 Responders and Survivors who are living in every State and from 434 of 435 Congressional Districts.
- There are over 14,000 participating in the National Program which provides medical treatment and monitoring for 9/11 Responders who live outside the New York Metropolitan Area, including responders to the Pentagon and the Shanksville crash site.
- There are over 71,000 9/11 Responders receiving medical monitoring to safeguard against emerging injuries.
- There are 16,653 injured 9/11 Survivors receiving medical treatment for their injuries from the World Trade Center Health Program.
- There are 42,082 Responders and Survivors have at least one 9/11 condition. Over two thirds have more than one condition and a large number of those suffer from multiple injuries and illnesses.
- 28,311 9/11 Responders and Survivors sought treatment last year, for their 9/11 injury from the World Trade Center Health Program.
- Over 2,000 active duty Fire Department personnel (Fire Fighters and EMS) and over 985 NYC Police Department personal have had to retire due to disabling 9/11 injuries.
- 9.375 Responders and Survivors have been certified to have a 9/11 related cancer, of which over 1,100 are New York City Fire Fighters and EMS personnel.
- Over 202 New York Police Department officers and over 182 FDNY Firefighters have reportedly died of their 9/11 injuries since 9/11 and more are expected in the coming years.
- To date, the September 11 Victim Compensation Fund has received 39,243 eligibility claims.
- The VCF since being reopened has made over 24,838 determinations for injured and ill responders and survivors or their families totaling over $4.3 Billion.
- The VCF has claims from all fifty states.
(Updated as of 10/16/2018)
Download (PDF, 118KB)
Participation by State in WTC Health Program and VCF September 29th, 2018
World Trade Center Health Program Statistics
WTC Health Program Participation by State June 2018
WTC Health Program Participation by Congressional Districts June 2018
World Trade Center Health Program at a Glance
World Trade Center Health Program Quarterly Reports
World Trade Center Health Program Quarterly Report 6/30/2018
World Trade Center Health Program Quarterly Report 3/30/2018
World Trade Center Health Program Quarterly Report 12/31/2017
September 11th Victim Compensation Fund Program Statistics
VCF Participation by State August 2018
September 11 Victim Compensation Fund Reports
VCF Report as of August 31, 2018
VCF Report as of April 30, 2018
September 11th Victim Compensation Fund Annual Reports
Sixth Annual Status Report – published February 2018
Fifth Annual Status Report – published March 13, 2017
Fourth Annual Status Report – published February 9, 2016
Third Annual Status Report – published October 17, 2014
Second Annual Status Report – published November 22, 2013
First Annual Status Report – published October 3, 2012
(Updated as of 10/16/2018)